Being a victim of vandalism can be an incredibly emotional experience. If you find that your property has been stolen or vandalized, contact your local authorities immediately. The majority of theft and vandalism cases are supported through the police reports filed at the time of the incident. It is crucial that authorities are contacted in the event of the incident to support theft and vandalism insurance claims.

The majority of theft and/or vandalism cases are covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy. It is up to you, the policyholder, to make sure that the authorities have all the necessary and accurate information pertaining to your theft and/or vandalism claim. Should you later discover further theft or vandalism than what was originally reported, contact the authorities, as well as your insurance provider and inform them immediately of the new findings.

Being prepared for each and every scenario will help you to rest easier throughout your theft/vandalism insurance claim process. In the case that your business is affected by theft and/or vandalism, you as a business owner may also qualify for a business interruption insurance claim.

How Vandalism occurs?

Vandalism can occur to anyone at any time. One of the first thoughts that enter your mind upon realizing you are a victim of vandalism is, am I covered for this? Most damages and losses incurred from an act of vandalism are covered within a standard commercial property and homeowner’s insurance policies, but exceptions can occur. Coverage for vandalism to your property hinges on several possible factors. Has your property been vacant for 30 days? 60 days? Coverage might be contingent on factors such as this. It is recommended to property owners to consider a vacancy endorsement to their original property insurance policy to avoid such instances.